Friday, 12/5/2014

It’s not too late to catch up on your 2015 push-ups! Sign-up here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1P_yvdBX9fs8cLjb1dN5yMzdIt0OyXPgKO6evGwBC2gI/edit?usp=sharing

Mobility
Scapulas/Rack Position

Strength:
Good Mornings 3×5 @ 65% of 3RM

WOD:
AMRAP in 9 minutes:
5 Power Cleans (135#/95#)
10 Ring Dips

Core/Accessory:
3×8 GHD Bench Press

8 Turkish Get-ups per side

Post your results to the comment section.

Advertisements

One thought on “Friday, 12/5/2014

1. December 5, 2014 at 7:23 am

GMs @80#
    WOD: 5+9 @75# RDs Rx’d
    GHD bench @43#
    TGU @18#

2. sburks1
    December 5, 2014 at 9:26 am

Pre WOD:
    1500M Row

GMs: 3×5@135#

WOD: 5+14rx. Cleans felt good. Seeing improvement in my catch. Actually hit 2 Fronts squats w/ proper front rack at 135# this morning. Could have done more but,

Core Not Complete 😦 – (Lazy and Talkative this morning…but whats new right)
    Pushups Complete

******COACHES PLEASE READ*********
    I would really like to determine what is making me hit a wall during WODs. My assumption is the fact that I have completely changed my diet this week (Paleo?/Dairy/Gluten Free) thanks to Coach Matt’s suggestion of trying MealFit and my lack of time in the box as of late prior to this week.

The reason I post about this is because I just started taking my Blood Pressure Medication(s) regularly because it was determined that under exercise my blood pressure can spike to a Stage 4 hypertensive level (200/100) and, for those actually reading this, that means I was putting my body into a position were I could stroke out and die. With that said…..the HBP Meds have to stay (for now) and if this is the cause i will live with that and work through it but, would love some advice/help with my new eating habits that will best help me to perform at my peak.

Additionally, I have seen an INCREDIBLE INCREASE in CRAMPING this week eek. I drink about 4 bottles (16.9oz) as day if not more. Thoughts?

Thanks for reading and the help in advance.
    #CFCStrong

• December 5, 2014 at 12:37 pm

First, doctors LOVE to exaggerate. Trust me… as a type 1 diabetic of over a decade I’ve seen my fair share of doctors and a lot of them are full of… you know what. Go back and read the CrossFit Journal article I wrote several years ago regarding the doctor who told me I shouldn’t do CrossFit because I have type 1 diabetes. Challenge accepted. In my experience, the older ones (i.e. outdated education), are worse. My current doctor is probably not much older than me, if at all and he’s great. The same doctor who told me I shouldn’t do CrossFit also told me I was over weight and that a pound is a pound whether it’s muscle or fat.

Second, always do your own research. When my doc told me I shouldn’t do CrossFit because the intensity of the exercise causes a huge and uncontrollable spike in my blood sugar I researched why that was happening and then came up with a solution to keep it from happening. Just reading your post I was thinking, 200/100 during exercise, especially CrossFit, really doesn’t seem that high. Of course your blood pressure is going to increase during exercise. Think about what blood pressure is and what happens during exercise.

I looked at 2-3 different sources and found the same information. This particular excerpt comes from http://www.livestrong.com/article/425759-blood-pressure-before-after-exercise/
      “During Exercise
      Blood pressure does increase in direct proportion with the intensity of the exercise. Systolic blood pressure increases to meet the demands of the body during exercise, and can increase from 120 mmHG before exercise and exceed 200 mmHg during exercise and still be considered normal. Diastolic blood pressure changes little, if at all, during exercise. Since diastolic blood pressure is the pressure in the walls when the heart is at rest, it is not affected during exercise.”

So, your diastolic blood pressure is definitely high. Prehypertension is 80. What was your resting BP?

Third, I think perhaps you’ve recently realized that McDonald’s after your workout is not a good idea. You can’t out-train bad nutrition. You can work out 5 days a week, but if your nutrition sucks you won’t see significant results and yeah, other health issues like high blood pressure will still exist. You have to clean up your diet, which it looks like you’ve started doing. I think with the right nutrition you’ll see a change in your blood pressure, at least the resting rate (again, your blood pressure will go up during exercise).

Fourth – the Paleo diet. Make sure you’re getting enough carbs. That’s normally the problem with Paleo. If you don’t get enough carbs, then yes, your energy level will suffer and fall way below what you’re used to. Add a piece of fruit an hour or so before you workout (so probably as soon as you wake up). 4×17 oz = 68 ounces. Roughly half of what you need in a day. A gallon is a good amount to shoot for. 68 oz is what is recommended for the average person to just maintain what you need in a day. Think about how much you lose in a CrossFit workout. You have to drink more than the “average” person because you’re doing more than an average workout. That’s why you’re cramping. If you feel thirsty you’re already dehydrated. Human response to dehydration is to feel hungry since we get a lot of liquid from our meals. That’s going to make you feel sluggish too.

Disclaimer – I am not telling you that your doctor is wrong and I’m not telling you to disregard what he/she is saying. You need to find a doctor you trust and then follow his or her instructions. But, with our health care system, we have the freedom of choice. If I find a doc who won’t work WITH me to help me do what I want to do in life, I move on. It is MY life and I control my condition, my condition will not control me.

BOOM! You asked for it…

• sburks1
        December 8, 2014 at 3:48 pm

Awesome Post Coach! Thank you!

3. jenniferlourdes
    December 5, 2014 at 11:42 am

Strength:
    Good Mornings 3×5 @ 65#

WOD: 7+3

3×8 GHD bench press @ 15#
    65 pushups

• Carlie
      December 5, 2014 at 11:59 am

supposed to be Carlie not Calie lol

• December 5, 2014 at 11:13 pm

I’ve been wondering who this Calie chick is!

5. December 5, 2014 at 12:41 pm

Tried to row. 200m hurt so I stopped.

Front Squat:
    3×5 @ 98# – felt GOOD!!!

Snatch Grip DL 7×2:
    83, 83, 88, 88, 93, 93, 98

2×25 Banded good mornings w/ medium band

Metcon:
    6+13
    75# power cleans
    (had to push HARD at the end, trying to beat Catie’s score)

GHD Bench Press: Nope (but watched Coach Dan try to do a back flip off the GHD machine, unsuccessfully)
    Turkish Get-ups: 8 per side with 15#

6. jbeloncik
    December 5, 2014 at 6:36 pm

6+5 Rx’d

7. Brian E
    December 5, 2014 at 7:14 pm

GMs: 3×5@135#

WOD: 6+7 @ 115# / feet on box. (shoulder felt like ass today)

GHD Bench – 3×8 @ 45#
    Skipped TGU because of shoulder.

Pushups completed.

8. Kira
    December 5, 2014 at 7:34 pm

Strength:
    squat cleans
    3×2 @ 45

And 500 meter warm up row

10. jasonyovich
    December 5, 2014 at 9:54 pm

3×5 GMs @ 95#

7 rounds
    RXd Power Cleans
    Ring Dips on a 16″ box (damn gravity)

Rowing, core, and PUs – chiggy check