Thursday, 8/7/2014

I recently read this article (http://breakingmuscle.com/crossfit/hey-crossfit-you-created-the-culture-so-own-it) and of course was immediately fired up. More people drinking the haterade on CrossFit. The problem with these articles is that they generalize all CrossFit gyms. I have been to CrossFit boxes that coach the “no guts no glory” and “go rx’d even if it kills you”. But that is not the culture at CrossFit Chantilly and I hope you all agree.

During the CrossFit Open, there was one workout involving heavy deadlifts. I stopped the person I was judging with plenty of time left on the clock because I was not comfortable with her attempting a heavier deadlift. She was very smart and did not argue with me, but I would not have allowed her to attempt the next deadlift, even if she had wanted to. That is not what we do at CrossFit Chantilly.

Many of you have asked me during the past couple of months if you should do a Wendler cycle. I have said, “No” to every one of you who have asked. Some of you will do it anyway, but against my recommendation. For those who were in the middle of Wendler and asked my opinion, I have said “I hate Wendler and would never prescribe it to anyone.” When asked why my answer is very simple. I would never recommend anyone go to failure. How many times have you heard me coach in a WOD, “Do not go to failure”? If you’ve known me long enough, you have heard me say that. I hate the Wendler “strength” cycle because failing on reps, on purpose, does not make you stronger. You will make gains off of one Wendler cycle, but not the kinds of gains I want you to make. If you fail on a rep it’s due to 1 of 2 reasons. 1) You weren’t strong enough. 2) You lacked the technique necessary to successfully execute the lift. Sometimes I will recommend you make another attempt at the same lift. Only if I know exactly what your mechanical problem was, and I believe you can fix it under that same load. However, if there are several major mechanical problems with your lift, you cannot make corrections under that same load and I will not recommend you reattempt the lift. Never would I recommend that you continue to fail, over and over. Never would I recommend that you purposely lift until you fail.

When you approach a bar, or a workout, I want you to know that you have the strength and skill to complete it. If you are unsure, I want you to scale. We have always encouraged scaling and we always will. Let’s get one thing straight though. Ripping your hands is not an injury. Get back to work.

Warm Up:
200 meter run
2 Rounds:
20 Leg Swings
20 Bear Hugs
20 Dislocates
10 Air Squats
5 Ring Rows

Mobility
Rack Stretch

Feel the steel!

WOD:
3 Rounds:
5 Squat Cleans (135#/95#)
25 Double Unders
Rest 1 minute
3 Rounds:
5 Shoulder-to-Overhead (135#/95#)
10 Box Jumps Up-and-Over (24″/20″)

Core/Strength:
2×50 Weighted Anchored Sit-Ups

3×8 Bent Over Rows w/ DBs or KBs

Post your results to the comment section.

Advertisements

One thought on “Thursday, 8/7/2014

1. Coach Cat
    August 6, 2014 at 8:21 pm

And before I get a lot of hate mail – that was not meant to be a rant against Wendler. I did 3 Wendler cycles before I knew better. The point was that our gym is different from what is portrayed in the article referenced above. If you are in the middle of a Wendler cycle, finish it, then move on to something else! Not doing so would be like sending your Netflix movie back when you’re halfway through. I watch the end of bad movies. Like Avatar.

• sburks1
      August 7, 2014 at 8:14 am

WHOA WHOA WHOA…..forget hate about Wendler…..back the hell off my Avatar. James Cameron is a genius and I cant wait to see the next installment in the trilogy. Instant Classic. Must own movie. I literally watched it AGAIN two nights ago.

• August 7, 2014 at 8:16 am

[ Shawn pushes his glasses firmly back up onto his nose, and storms off poutin.]

• sburks1
        August 7, 2014 at 8:21 am

Spot on sir. #noshameinmyvideogame

• August 7, 2014 at 9:49 am

It’s a remake of Fern Gully.

• August 7, 2014 at 1:35 pm

I totally agree with this and thought the same thing when I saw it.

• August 7, 2014 at 1:42 pm

Dennis, you had me at Zach Braff…..and lost me at Avatar and Fern Gully! At least I know you like frosted flakes. After all, they’re ggrrrrrrEAT!

2. August 7, 2014 at 6:18 am

9:43 70# (I’m getting into this rounding thing…)
    Singles (I will keep practicing DUs in warm ups)

I’m off on vaca! Will be posting my vaca WODs and I’ll be back the 25th! I’ll miss y’all!!! ❤️

• sburks1
      August 7, 2014 at 8:27 am

Ditto Kiddo. Be safe and have fun!

3. August 7, 2014 at 7:29 am

5:17 Rx’d
    (2:28 at end of first WOD. Should’ve would’ve could’ve been 20-30 seconds faster there)
    Core done

4. Karen O'Donnell
    August 7, 2014 at 8:17 am

8:53 @ 75lbs

5. sburks1
    August 7, 2014 at 8:20 am

Active Recovery WOD:

10 Rounds
    200M Row
    5 Wall Balls @ 20#

16:20

Core:
    BORs: 70,70,70
    WASUs: Will do when i get home tonight

Mobility
    Voodoo Wrap the left knee then 4 minutes total of squat with a band
    Peanut up Spine to base of neck
    Lacrosse ball in Glutes with foot on knees: 1:30-2:00min each side.

• sburks1
      August 7, 2014 at 8:25 am

This post is a shout out to Jae (whether he sees it or not).

Let me just say…..HE KILLED THIS WOD!

10:39 @ 125# 10#s off Rx on both cleans and shoulder to overhead. Fought his way though it to the very end. That right there is the reason i love this sport and and Crossfit Chantilly. I get to see people fight with everything they have for something they believe in every day. Thank you for that today Jae. You are a bad ass.

• August 7, 2014 at 8:31 am

Amen to that!! And every box jump over was a JUMP! He use to no even be able to jump! Jae is a BEAST!

• August 7, 2014 at 8:26 am

Killer work today broham!!

• August 7, 2014 at 1:40 pm

That is not an active recovery wod…that is just a WOD. Active recovery is going for a leisurely jog. Doing some mobility. Not 10 rounds and keeping track of time. Give your body the rest it deserves.

6. Kira
    August 7, 2014 at 1:08 pm

That was me you stopped and I appreciate you for it!!! Nothing is worth an injury.

7. billy
    August 7, 2014 at 5:08 pm

strength
    clean pulls 5×2 @235#
    squats 6×2 @235#

WOD
    8:35rx (1minute rest included)

• August 7, 2014 at 5:30 pm

FYI , all of the 0600 class times are less the 1 minute rest period. Great work Billy. Glad to have you back and beasting!

• billy
        August 7, 2014 at 5:55 pm

gotcha, i was not sure if they were included or not but thanks im already really sore and feel slower haha but nonetheless good to be back!

8. Coach Cat
    August 7, 2014 at 5:54 pm

7:02 not including the rest

65# squat cleans and STO and box step up and overs. First time doing squat cleans or pulling a barbell from the floor in about a month.

Strict press 83, 93, 98, 105(f)

2×50 sit ups w/ 18#
    KB windmills w/ 18#

9. August 7, 2014 at 5:55 pm

5:56 rx

10. Drew
    August 7, 2014 at 6:14 pm

4:25 first round
    4:08 second round
    Total 8:33 RX’d @ 185#

11. Valerie
    August 7, 2014 at 6:40 pm

Finally back from my biz trip and I couldn’t get to the box tonight! Ugh. I wasn’t able to WOD at all while I was away and was determined to do it at home tonight. So I did Cindy:
    11rds rx’d

12. Natasha
    August 7, 2014 at 7:18 pm

5:53 Rx+ @125# (not including 1min rest)
    3:00 for the first round.
    15# Slam ball for anchored sit-ups.
    55#KB for BORs.

13. August 7, 2014 at 7:35 pm

8:26 – includes rest, scaled to 95# front squats, singles (3:1); 75# push press, 20″ box (light weight and front squats due to lower back issues). BTW, I thought Avatar was awesome also!…how could you call that a bad movie!?

• August 7, 2014 at 7:39 pm

Oh yeah, and I agree with all that other stuff Cat posted. I love our box and have only ever received supporting positive peer pressure from everyone and safety-ladden encouragement from our coaches!

• August 7, 2014 at 7:41 pm

…and l almost forgot, lots of helpful technique instruction…like tonight, right Natasha?!

• Natasha